Amit Seal Ami is researching Cyber Security and Software Engineering as Ph.D. Candidate at the Computer Science Department, William & Mary. He is Co-advised by Dr. Adwait Nadkarni and Dr. Denys Poshyvanyk, as part of the SPL and SEMERU research groups.
Using software engineering research techniques, he creates systematic evaluation frameworks that can help improve security focused techniques or software.
- (08/2023) [Doctoral Symposium] Systematically Evaluating Static Analysis-Based Security Testing Tools - The Gaps within Design and Practice has been accepted at the ACM Joint European Software Engineering Conference and Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE)!
- (08/2023) [Paper-USENIX] “Belt and suspenders” or “just red tape”?: Investigating Early Artifacts and User Perceptions of IoT Security Compliance Enforcement has been accepted at the 33rd USENIX Security Symposium!
- (07/2023) [Paper-S&P] “False negative - that one is going to kill you”: Understanding Industry Perspectives of Static Analysis based Security Testing* has been accepted at the 2024 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy!
- (07/2023) [Paper-ESEC/FSE] MASC: A Tool for Mutation-based Evaluation of Static Crypto-API Misuse Detectors has been accepted to the tool demo track at the ACM Joint European Software Engineering Conference and Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE) 2023!
- (03/2023) [Fatherhood] I, with my beautiful wife Prianka, became parents to a baby girl, named Agnika!
- (10/2022) [Cybersecurity-Policy] at the Joint Commission on Technology and Science (JCOTS), Virginia Meeting, presided by Delegate C.E. Cliff Hayes, Jr. to suggest Cybersecurity Policies for the Commonwealth of Virginia
- (04/2022) [Policy-Fellowship] To work as a 2022 Commonwealth of Virginia Engineering and Science (COVES) Fellow at the Joint Commission on Technology and Science, Virginia!
- (04/2022) [Travel-Award-S&P] IEEE S&P Student Travel Grant (In person)
- (03/2022) [Travel-Award-NDSS] NDSS 2022 Student Grant (Virtual)
- (02/2022) [Poster-NDSS] accepted at the Network and Distributed System Security (NDSS) Symposium 2022!
- (10/2021) [Invited Talk-GMU] Software Engineering Seminar Series at George Mason University on “Why Crypto-detectors Fail: A Systematic Evaluation of Cryptographic Misuse Detection Techniques”
- (08/2021) [Paper-S&P] Why Crypto-detectors Fail: A Systematic Evaluation of Cryptographic Misuse Detection Techniques accepted for publication at 43rd IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland’22)!
- (06/2021) [Fellowship] Coastal Virginia Center for Cyber Innovation - COVA CCI - Cybersecurity Dissertation Fellowship!
- (01/2021) [Paper-ICSE] μSE: Mutation-based Evaluation of Security-focused Static Analysis Tools for Android accepted at International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE’21)
- (11/2020) [Paper-ACM-TOPS] Systematic Mutation-based Evaluation of the Soundness of Security-focused Android Static Analysis Techniques accepted at ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security (TOPS)
- (07/2019) [Fellowship] Continuation of Graduate Studies and Research Fellowship Award of William & Mary
- (08/2018) [Fellowship] Graduate Studies and Research Fellowship of William & Mary - sponsored by Arts and Sciences Graduate Studies Advisory Board
Full list of news is available here!
- (05/2023) [Guest Lecture] Guest lectured class at W&M on Security of IoT/Software and Compliance!
- (12/2022) [Workshop] Conducted Vulnerability Analysis Tutorial & Workshop at William & Mary
- (10/2022) [Web Chair] Graduate Panelist and Web Chair of the 2022 W&M CS Symposium
- (09/2022) [Press] Featured by W&M NEWS for leading research on Crypto-detectors and False sense of data security
- (05/2022) [Paper-Talk-S&P] Why Crypto-detectors Fail: A Systematic Evaluation of Cryptographic Misuse Detection Techniques
- (05/2022) [Guest Lecture] At W&M on Security of IoT/Software and Compliance!
- (11/2021) [Attended] ACM CCS 2021 and workshops!
- (11/2021) [Invited Lecture-W&M] Why Crypto-detectors Fail at Mobile Applications Security (CSci 445) course at William & Mary
- (08/2021) [Attended] USENIX Security’21 and SOUPS 2021!
- (05/2021) [Attended/Award] IEEE S&P’21 with Student Registration Grant!
- (02/2021) [Attended/Award] NDSS’21 with Student Travel Grant!
- (01/2021) [Attended] UVA Science Policy BootCamp organized by University of Virginia
- (10/2020) [Workshop] Conducted Vulnerability Analysis Tutorial & Workshop at William & Mary
- (09/2020) [Attended] at ACM CCS Individualized Cybersecurity Research Mentoring (iMentor) Workshop
- (08/2020) [Attended] USENIX Security’20