Amit Seal Ami is researching Cyber Security and Software Engineering as Ph.D. Candidate at the Computer Science Department, William & Mary. He is Co-advised by Dr. Adwait Nadkarni and Dr. Denys Poshyvanyk, as part of the SPL and SEMERU research groups.
Using software engineering research techniques, he creates systematic evaluation frameworks that can help improve security focused techniques or software.
- (05/23-26/2022) Presented “Why Crypto-detectors Fail: A Systematic Evaluation of Cryptographic Misuse Detection Techniques.” at the IEEE S&P (Oakland) Conference
- (04/07/2022) Selected as the 2022 Commonwealth of Virginia Engineering and Science (COVES) Fellow from the William & Mary!
- (04/18/2022) Received IEEE S&P Student Travel Grant (In person) worth $1,300!
- (03/17/2022) Received NDSS 2022 Student Grant (Virtual)!
- (02/07/2022) Poster on “Why Crypto-detectors Fail: A Systematic Evaluation of Cryptographic Misuse Detection Techniques.” accepted at the Network and Distributed System Security (NDSS) Symposium 2022!
- (10/07/2021) gave an invited talk on “Why Crypto-detectors Fail: A Systematic Evaluation of Cryptographic Misuse Detection Techniques.” at the Software Engineering Seminar Series at GMU - [Video].
- (08/10/2021) “Why Crypto-detectors Fail: A Systematic Evaluation of Cryptographic Misuse Detection Techniques.” accepted for publication at 43rd IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland’22)!
- (06/30/2021) Received Coastal Virginia Center for Cyber Innovation - COVA CCI - Cybersecurity Dissertation Fellowship!
- (01/21/2021) μSE: Mutation-based Evaluation of Security-focused Static Analysis Tools for Android accepted at International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE’21)
- (11/24/2020) Systematic Mutation-based Evaluation of the Soundness of Security-focused Android Static Analysis Techniques accepted at ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security (TOPS)
- (08/07/2018) Received Graduate Studies and Research Fellowship of William & Mary - sponsored by Arts and Sciences Graduate Studies Advisory Board and continued for the next semester due to satisfactory progress.
Full list of news is available here.
Academic Services - Reviewer
Academic Services - Sub-Reviewer
- Security: USENIX Security 2021, NDSS’21, NDSS’22
- Software Engineering: ICSME’22, ASE’21, ASE’20, ICSME’20, ACM TOSEM’22, ACM TOSEM’21, ESEC/FSE 2021
- (11/15-19/2021) Attended ACM CCS 2021 and workshops!
- (08/08-13/2021) Attended USENIX Security’21 and SOUPS 2021!
- (05/24-27/2021) Received Student Registration Grant and attending IEEE S&P’21!
- (02/21-25/2021) Received Student Travel Grant and attended NDSS’21!
- (01/11-15/2021) Attended UVA Science Policy BootCamp organized by University of Virginia
- (10/31/2020) Conducted Vulnerability Analysis Tutorial & Workshop at William & Mary
- (09/09-12/2020) Mentee at ACM CCS Individualized Cybersecurity Research Mentoring (iMentor) Workshop
- (08/12-14/2020) Attended USENIX Security’20